Monday, May 19, 2008

Perfect Moments

It seems from time to time I am not so gently reminded that this life was never meant to be easy. I'll even admit that every so often I think about what it would be like to have a perfect life, be a perfect mother, a perfect wife, a perfect daughter, a perfect sister, and a perfect friend. However, my next thought always seems to be one of gratitude. Gratitude that my life is full of molding and shaping that can usually be done most effectively through difficult and trying situations. Gratitude that through experiencing the difficult and trying times, I can appreciate and enjoy the sweet and simple parts of life. Gratitude that I am surrounded by imperfect people, just like me. Gratitude for faith and love that knows no bounds. It is my belief that one day I will experience perfection to some degree, however, I know there will always be progression. It is also my belief that although I live a life of imperfection, I am blessed with perfect moments. One of these moments that will forever be etched in my memory occurred a few weeks ago.

It was a nice Friday evening. Tony's work week was over. It was one of those weeks that seemed to drag on, yet at the end not much happened. We decided to order take-out pizza and Annika and I went to pick it up while Tony mowed the lawn. I had just downloaded some new songs to my iPod and Annika and I were listening to them. At the stop lights I would turn around and look at her in the back seat smiling and dancing. I decided to teach her some of the words of the song, so she could sing along with me. When we got to the pizza place she picked out a green sucker, and despite my best effort to urge her not to eat it until after dinner she couldn't resist and started licking it. I decided it wasn't that big of a deal today and let her enjoy it. On the way home we turned our song on again and rolled down the windows. It seemed the temperature outside was perfect, the sun was setting beautifully, and I looked back at my beautiful, grown up girl singing and dancing along, smiling at me while eating her sucker that it just hit me. This is a perfect moment. It is moments like these that I live for, that I work so hard for, these are the moments that make all the difficult times worth it. These are the moments I will remember forever.

7 comments:

Jess and Matt said...

beautifully put, and perfectly said. I love these moments and live for them. When we are aware and looking for them, it is amazing how they just flood our lives. Thanks for that sweet story, loved it.

Ryan and Erin said...

I almost started crying reading this. Isn't life so sweet?

Leilini W. Kinikini said...

I have to tell you that you're such and inspiration! You're so right about those "perfect moments" I always love seeing you guys when I see Tasha!

You two have the most beautiful family...!

It was nice to find ya on here!

Keep in touch!

Marie(Makai)Kinikini :P

Coby and Shalyce said...

I'm with you Nicole! Driving back from the hospital after taking Sage to see Shalyce and the babies I couldn't help but think that I am blessed with perfect moments too - a sweet girl who loves her daddy, two perfect little nuggets, and a powerhouse of a wifey. Life is awesome indeed!!!

Michelle and Caleb said...

I am there with you. It has been a long few months but I think I have learned the most in the last few months. We are so blessed to have our family and share those great moments. Life is to short.

Sarah and The Girls said...

If you get a chance download "This is the life" By Billy Dean. It's a great song. Life is just this...the moment licking lollipops with the breeze of the wind blowing through our hair...it is worth it.

Sarah Jayne said...

Thanks for sharing that nicole! I love those moments! They are truly what makes the hard times seem easier! When we know what truly counts and we are blessed enough to have it, we can do anything!